Open Source Infrastructure Engineer: Site Reliability Engineering and Cloud Infrastructure
2i2c manages, supports, and builds community-centric infrastructure for interactive computing in the cloud with partner communities in research and education.
We’re looking for an Open Source Infrastructure Engineer that will join our Site Reliability Engineering team and make our cloud infrastructure more reliable, scalable, and efficient. It will help build a future of data-intensive scientific research and democratize the design and access to cloud-based resources for research and education purposes.
If you’re interested, learn more about 2i2c at the links below, and more about this job posting on the rest of this page.
This posting is closed to new applications.
See the jobs page for our open positions.
About the position
- Salary: $120,000 - $135,000
- Location: preferred at the US/Pacific time zone
- Deadline: We will begin reviewing applications around November 17th, and will accept them on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Site Reliability Engineering
Cloud infrastructure management, operations, and support.
Development of open source infrastructure for hosted JupyterHub service
For more general information about 2i2c, see the links below:
Who we are #
2i2c is a non-profit organization with a mission to make interactive computing more accessible, scalable, and powerful for research and education: https://2i2c.org/organization/ .
We accomplish this mission by providing managed cloud services for interactive computing, by providing development and technical leadership to researchers and educators that utilize this infrastructure for specific communities, and by providing support for open source tools and communities in this ecosystem.
We have deep ties to the open source community, and have been leaders and core contributors across dozens of projects - in particular in the Jupyter ecosystem. We also have deep ties to research and education - our team has spent years deploying infrastructure for universities, community colleges, and research teams, and now we’re bringing this experience to a wider audience with 2i2c.
We believe strongly in communities that are inclusive, transparent, equitable, effective, and diverse, especially 2i2c itself. We believe that our values should permeate everything about 2i2c, including the work we do, the communities we serve, and our own organizational culture.
2i2c is a fiscally sponsored project of Code for Science and Society , a registered US 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation.
What you’ll do #
- Ensure the reliable operation of the 2i2c infrastructure (leveraging production-ready cloud-based tools such as JupyterHub, BinderHub and Dask).
- Address support issues
- Explore emerging technologies in the Cloud / DevOps space, design and implement cloud computing architecture in partnership with our team.
- Participate in upstream open source communities we rely on (such as JupyterHub, BinderHub, Dask, etc) in partnership with the established leaders of those communities and collaborate with the Community Lead in the education and outreach around cloud computing.
- Work with a distributed and global team - team members are given a lot of autonomy, and expected to be proactive at communicating with one another and working with others to allocate effort that will maximize our impact.
Essential requirements #
- Experience deploying applications on cloud infrastructure.
- Experience deploying and developing with Linux container-based technologies, such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience with continuous integration services (e.g. Circle CI, GitHub workflows).
- Experience developing tools in a general purpose programming language (eg. Python).
- Experience collaborating and coordinating work via online platforms, such as GitHub, GitLab, or BitBucket, and distributed revision control.
- Experience working with distributed service teams that use asynchronous methods of communication
Desirable requirements #
- Experience with major cloud providers.
- Experience in programming and software engineering with a track record of leadership in open, collaborative projects with broad community adoption.
- Experience working on geographically distributed open-source projects.
- Experience with the Jupyter ecosystem and other tools for interactive computing.
- Evidence of existing connections and relationships in the worldwide ecosystem of open source software for data-intensive research and ability to establish new ones.
- Experience with common data science methods, platforms, workflows, and infrastructures; with data management systems, practices, and standards; and the capacity to gain familiarity with new related topics.
- Experience engaging with highly technical researchers across a variety of methodological fields, research domains, and computational platforms.
- Experience building and maintaining continuous deployment pipelines.
- Interpersonal skills to work with researchers and students, including skills to communicate complex information in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in writing.
What it is like to work at 2i2c and why you’ll like working with us #
2i2c is a remote-first team that believes strongly in our organizational values and mission. We recommend that you visit our jobs page , to learn about what it’s like to work at 2i2c and why you should work with us. You will also find relevant information about our compensation philosophy and our commitment to equal opportunity. For an even deeper look into how 2i2c works, check out our Team Compass .
How to apply #
Please fill out the following application form . We will begin reviewing applications on November 17th, and will accept them on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
We are eager to receive your application!